Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday, August 26


My chivalrous husband stood to greet me (with my help, but his idea) when we arrived! And when he hugged me, he noted, “I’m still taller than you!” a fact confirmed when I moved his walker from the ability lab to the hallway for him this afternoon. He also stopped to hug me goodbye in the middle of his transfer back to bed:


John had PT during our visit today, and he was a little bummed that he had to have therapy while we were there, interrupting our visit. I was glad, though, because I knew it would give him the chance to show Nora what he’d been working on. She waited in his room while he got started with Mike down in the ability lab. Mike asked him what he wanted to do, and John said “I’m guessing I have to walk.” Mike then egged him on – “You want to show off for your family, right?” So he took him to hallway (instead of the treadmill) and got him started on the loop (which, btw, is officially 270 feet, though Mike says 280 to account for the wide turns most patients take). When he was about 50 feet from John’s room, I went to get Nora to watch the “parade.” She was at the end of the hallway when John turned the corner and started moving toward her. I wasn’t able to capture the look on Nora’s face when she saw John on the walker because I was enthralled by the joy and excitement on her face – but that’s ok because John saw it, too.
 
 
"Let me help you, Daddy!"
 
 
 
Mike's idea of Sunday afternoon fun -- let's add weights to his ankles before lap two!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Oh how wonderful! Great work and progress John. Love the hug for Abby and the pic of Nora walking beside you. They are the end of the rainbow John...so you keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the happy update, Abby! I'm sure that was a treasured hug, the first of many to come. Keep up the hard work, John. We'll keep the prayers coming. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John & Abby, we were so shocked to hear about what happened to John from Kevin & Kathy. Been trying to keep up with his progress and it appears he's made some very great strides on his path to full recovery.

    Please know that our thoughts and prayers remain with all of you and if there is anything I can offer that would help, please don't hesitate to ask.

    Paula & Bob Giver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula and Bob -- we really appreciate the prayers!

      Delete