Thursday, August 2, 2012

Purposeful movement!

[Now that we are firmly past the crisis stage and safely into recovery, I'm adding some posts to fill in details from John's time in AtlantiCare to keep a record for later on for Nora.]

It's late in the evening -- about 10:00 -- and John's room is darkened. I'm in my "bed" (2 recliners pushed seat to seat to give me enough room to stretch out), under the covers, and reading one last article online, about to shut down my laptop and doze off. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice a red light flashing around the room. I look over at John and realize his right arm is moving!!! I jump up and ask him what he's doing, and he matter-of-factly (as if he hasn't just sustained a traumatic spinal cord injury that has caused near complete tetraplegia) answers, "Trying to see if I can scratch my nose." We have purposeful movement!!!

I made him repeat it for me a few times, then I went out into the hall to look for Jeremy, his nurse, or Matt, his PCA. Matt was at the ice machine, and so I shared the wonderful news with him that John was moving his arm to see if he could touch his nose. Matt was immediately excited and gave me the label "purposeful movement." He came back into John's room with me and I made John show off for Matt, then Matt went to find Jeremy and John repeated it for him. It's official -- he has purposeful movement!

It seems such a little thing, scratching your nose, but it's a giant leap forward for John. Movement is returning, at least to one limb.

No comments:

Post a Comment