Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Wednesday, September 12

John's way of starting our daily phone conversation this evening:
"Were you driving down Lake Shore drive this afternoon?" I politely simply say, "Noooo," refraining from pointing out that 1) our good car is still in NJ, so no Chicago driving for me, and 2) I was teaching this afternoon. Then he explained:

He had 2 PT sessions, one at 8 am (! -- I keep meaning to ask him if he's adjusted to Chicago time -- maybe he still thinks of this as 9 am) and one at 2 pm, both with Ryan. He spent his morning session working on stairs (though if he remembered that climbing the stairs in our house will mean he gets to be actively involved in prodding Nora to keep her room clean, he might not be so eager...). This afternoon, Ryan asked him if he'd been outside for PT yet, and he hadn't. So the ground he walked over was Lake Shore Drive! The goal was to start training him on uneven ground. It was bumpy going (pun intended), but deeply satisfying for him.

I am celebrating by making a huge pot of French onion soup (for me -- it's a treat for my "allergic" husband since the smell should dissipate before he comes home) -- comfort food!

3 comments:

  1. Do you want me to drive it out. I can take the train home. Plus it gives me a vacancy to come visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer, Brian. Rob's supposed to bring it this weekend, but if anything happens and he can't, I'll let you know. And once John's settled at home, he'd love to have you visit...

      Delete
  2. If Rob needs an overnight in pgh he is obviously welcome to stay on academy ave.

    Yum for onion soup.

    Most importantly, yaaaaaaaay for outdoors time. Its the perfect time of year to be outside gaining strength :)

    ReplyDelete