Saturday, September 8, 2012

Saturday, September 8


The view from our window on the South Shore line:


a beautiful fall sky after last night's rain -- it's football weather!
 
We took Daddy an apple pie today J and he loved every bite of it. When we were eating lunch in the day room, Nora was having trouble using her indoor voice, and there were a couple of therapy sessions going on. So John told her, “You’re in a hospital and have to be quiet – people are trying to heal. No one gets to make noise except Daddy when he’s working” – a nice acknowledgement of the fact that he works so hard in PT that he grunts loudly.

Nora has discovered that as fun as it is to push Daddy in his chair, it’s even more fun to ride in it with Daddy!


After lunch



 

Nora got to go to OT with John, and she joined in for the stretches at the end. We also took John out for a short walk – it was a lovely day, with the first hint of fall in the air. We had lots of fun trying to arrange ourselves so we could all fit in the camera frame in a self-portrait:
 
Nora got to play at the South Shore playground, and John enjoyed watching her cross the swinging bridge and slide down to twirling pole. He and I were amused to watch her grab a little girl her age, and ask her to play on the hopscotch path with her – clearly, the past two weeks of kindergarten have taught her how to how to get a game going with new kids!

Every time I visit John, he’s just a little bit stronger. We both remember the day we arrived here, when we each noticed the same thing first:

 
 
Every time I watch John working or listen to him describe his day, I’m amazed at his strength. And I remember reading this passage from Job when we entered:
For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
and I know that I’m watching God at work here.

5 comments:

  1. I gasped when I read the email you sent to Kerry. What an awful freak accident and ordeal! Reading the entries in your blog and seeing photos marking John's progress in rehab has been inspiring and uplifting. You are all in my prayers and I will look forward to reading future updates. Much love to you all. Lori (Pantaleo)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Abby,
    You are all in our prayers and we are sending as many hapy positive thoughts from NJ as possible. You are both so strong and resilant and John is an inspiration. Love, Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post just makes me soooooooooooooo happy!!
    John and I talked about the prayers coming from all over the country from people he doesn't know and God is listening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that picture of John hugging Nora.

    I'm with Patty -- friends of mine you've never even met who just know how special you guys are to me are praying for Johns recovery and for strength for Abby and Nora :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY ! John is looking great and I love hearing that things are progressing for all of you. Keep your spirits up, we're praying for you everyday !

    ReplyDelete